Recently my aunt S, had an opportunity to speak to the women of her church at a retreat. She spent a great deal of time in prayer and preparation for it first though and what she had to say had a great impact. I’m splitting it up into a few posts and will be post them on here (with her permission :-). I’m working on a post on the book of Numbers right now and as with Leviticus , a book that I thought would finish quickly , is taking a long time. To read and understand and to put it into my words. Scripture certainly has a ton of pearls , all waiting to be found.
My aunt first spoke on the Proverbs 31 woman. A woman of a good and noble and virtuous and moral character. Please leave comments about what blessed you and what helped you and it will encourage her as well.
10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 ‘Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.’but you surpass them all.’
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honour her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Some of the things we can do , to become a woman of good character are
1.Express Gratitude/Take control of your thoughts:
- Never let the things you want, make you forget about the things you have.
- Count your blessings-name them one by one.
- We have so much to be grateful for in this life. Each and every day. But constant life demands, struggles, and worries give more room for defeat than to a heart of thanks.
- When we are weary, tired, facing personal losses and struggles… We begin to develop negative thoughts that are played over and over, like in a circular motion in your head? What if this had happened? If only I had done that? I am such a failure? Punishing thoughts?
- A big part of standing against the enemy of our souls is taking control of our minds.
- You have a choice of what you can allow in your minds. If you don’t take control of your minds, the devil will.
- These cyclical thoughts are not God giving you a revelation of your life, mind etc. It is the enemy gaining control of our thoughts.
- Paul says in In 2 Corinthians 10: 5- We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. The bible clearly tells us that we must learn to bring every thought into captivity.
- How can we overcome this? – Through prayer, faith and believing the truth about God’s word.
- Take some time today to express gratitude to others who God has used in your life—your family, friends, teachers, mentors, spiritual leaders.2. Savor Life’s Joys because God Made you special:
- When you learn about the good things in life, it raises your spirit. The real beauty of life is in each precious moment, stop and smell the roses.
- Rick Warren says – God made you for his pleasure. Revelation 4:11 says, “For you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.
- Our lives matter to God as he uniquely created us. King David mentions in (Psalm 139:13, 16 NIV) “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb .… Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”
- Ecclesiastes 2:24 (NIV): A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find Joy in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God,
- Ecclesiastes 7:14 (NIV) When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future.
- Stop Overthinking – Free yourself from Ungodly Fear: Thinking too much complicates your life and creates a problem that wasn’t there in the first place. It wears us down worrying that something we fear is going to happen. You do not have to entertain every thought that comes to your mind. God does not want us to live in fear. Fear does not come from Him. The enemy can make us afraid of everything, especially our future. In order to protect ourselves from ungodly fear, we must care more about what God says than what the world says. Proverbs 29:25 (NIV) Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Fearing people and what they say can set us on a dangerous trap.
3. Avoid Social Comparison As Everyone Has a purpose:
- Most of our insecurities come from comparing our behind the scenes with other people’s highlight reel.
- It is never too late to seek the purpose that God has planned for your life. When you surrender to the Lord and declare your utter dependence on him, he will set you on that path.
- We waste too many years trying to figure out what we are supposed to be doing and miss the most important fact of the purpose God created us for.
- Romans 11:29; (NIV): The gifts and the calling of Our God are irrevocable. That means that what he has given you he will never take back a.k.a will not be repealed or annulled.
- The exception is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. If you sin and do not repent, you can loose it.
- He wants you to have a clear vision for your life. He wants to reveal to you where your gifts and talents lie, so that you can develop them for the glory of God. He knows how to get you there.
- Ephesians 1:11(NIV) In him we were also chosen (obtained an inheritance) , having been predestined (your destination has already been defined) according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,
RELATED POST : Becoming a woman of noble character Part 2
What do you think? Did you enjoy the study above? Let me in the comments below. Don’t forget to read part 2 next week.
Until the next time,